135 Anderson Avenue
May 27th, 2023 & May 28th, 2023Saturday: 10:30am - 4:00pmSunday: 1:00pm - 4:00pm
St. John’s is the oldest Anglican parish west of the Great Lakes. It was founded in 1820, when the Rev. John West arrived from England to serve as chaplain to the Hudson’s Bay Company, and as missioner to the indigenous people in the region, and as pastor to the settlers who had come from Scotland under the aegis of Lord Selkirk, to establish a colony in Rupert’s Land. The present building, the fourth church and second cathedral on this site, dates from 1926. The graveyard surrounding the Cathedral predates the parish. It was established by the first group of Selkirk settlers in 1812.
Guided tours will start at 10:30am, 11:30am and 1:00pm on Saturday, and 1:00pm and 2:00pm on Sunday. Tours will be approximately 45 minutes in length with a maximum 30 guests. Tours of the church and cemetery will be separate but run concurrently. Guests are welcome to attend both tours, going directly from one tour to the next. No registration required!