140 Meade Street North
May 27, 2017 & May 28, 2017Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pmSunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Almost lost to posterity, the home of William Ross (1825-1856), is the oldest dwelling in Winnipeg proper, dating from 1854. It also served as the first post office in Western Canada. Originally built at the foot of Market Street, it was saved through the efforts of the Manitoba Historical Society and the City of Winnipeg in 1949. In 1984 the house was relocated from its location on Higgins Avenue to its present site under the auspices of the Canada-Manitoba A.R.C. Agreement. On Sunday, we will have a costumed attendant with a display of 19th-century apothecary instruments.