525 Tylehurst Street (in the St. James Cemetery)

May 25th, 2024
Saturday: 11:00am - 5:00pm

Heritage St. James Anglican Church, surrounded by its cemetery, is the oldest log church still used for regular worship in Western Canada. The parish gave its name to the city of St James and is the Mother Church for west Winnipeg Anglican parishes. Inside, hand-hewn, fitted timbers and remnants of the tower used by Louis Riel’s scouts are visible. This church was the centre of parish life until November 1922 when the ‘new’ church opened. Wander the cemetery: carefully, where you will find many of Winnipeg’s earliest settlers, then spend a moment of contemplation at the Wee Souls Memorial

Please note that while there is a paved walkway to access the church, the cemetery grounds are uneven and can be challenging to navigate with a wheelchair, walker, or even by foot.

Staff and volunteers will be on site to share knowledge and answer questions. No registration required!

Facilities at this location:


Learn More: